On this page are some key readings for Systemic Functional Linguistics that have influenced my views on language and teaching and also other references from posts.
- Eggins, S. (2004) An Introduction to Systemic Functional Linguistics, New York: Continuum
- Halliday, M.A.K. (1978) Language as a Social Semiotic: The Social Interpretation of Language and Meaning, London: Edward Arnold
- Halliday, M.A.K. & Matthiessen, C.M.I.M. (2004) An Introduction to Functional Grammar, 3rd Edition, London: Hodder Arnold
- Halliday, M.A.K. & Hasan, R. (1976) Cohesion in English, London: Longman
- Halliday, M.A.K. & Hasan, R. (1985) Language, context, and text: Aspects of language in a social-semiotic perspective, Geelong: Deakin University Press
- Leckie-Tarry, H. (1995). Language and Context: A functional linguistic theory of register. (D. Birch, Ed.) London & New York: Pinter.
- Martin, J. (1992). English Text: System and Structure. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Martin, J., & Rose, D. (2005). Genre Relations: Mapping Culture. London: Equinox Publishing.
Practical SFL courses:
- Bloor, T. & Bloor, M. (2004) The Functional Analysis of English, 2nd Edition, London: Hodder
- Butt, D., Fahey, R., Spinks, S. & Yallop,C., (1995) Using Functional Grammar – An Explorer’s Guide, Sydney: National Centre for English Language Teaching and Research
Teaching with SFL:
- Burns, A., Joyce, H. & Gollin, S. (1996) ‘I see what you mean’: Using spoken discourse in the classroom: A handbook for teachers, Macquarie University
- Burns, A. & Coffin, C., Eds. (2001) Analysing English in a Global Context, New York: Routledge
- Candlin, C.N. & Mercer, N., Eds. (2001) English Language Teaching in its Social Context, New York: Routledge
- Christie, F. (2002) Classroom Discourse Analysis: A Functional Perspective, New York: Continuum
- Ghadessy, M., Henry, A. & Roseberry, R. (eds.) (2001) Small corpus studies and ELT, Amsterdam: John Benjamins
- Jones, R.H. & Lock, G. (2011) Functional Grammar in the ESL Classroom, Pelgrave Macmillan
- Lock, G. (1996) Functional English Grammar: An Introduction for Second Language Teachers, Cambridge University Press
- Brown, G. & Yule, G. (1983) Discourse Analysis, Cambridge University Press
- Coultard, M. (1994) Advances in Written Text Analysis, Routledge
- Hawkins, M.R. (Ed.) (2004) Language Learning and Teacher Education: A Sociocultural Approach, Multilingual Matters Ltd.
- Hoey, M. (1991) Patterns of Lexis in Text, Oxford University Press
- Holiday, A. (1994) Appropriate Methodology and Social Context, Cambridge University Press
- Willis, D. (1990). The lexical syllabus: a new approach to language teaching. London and Glasgow: Collins ELT.